Concerns Following Sale of Business or Merger
Business sales and mergers create many questions and concerns in the minds of employees, customers/clients, and vendors/suppliers. By anticipating their questions or concerns in advance, you will be better prepared to address them. Following are lists of common questions or concerns expressed.
Following are lists of common questions or concerns expressed.
Common Employee Questions and Concerns
- Will I still have a job?
- Will my compensation change?
- Will my benefits change?
- To whom will I report?
- Will I have to relocate?
- Will my title or job responsibilities change?
- Will there be a severance package if my position is eliminated?
- What will happen to the prior owner?
- Why was the company sold?
- Will anyone lose their job because of the transaction?
- Will any of the locations close because of the transaction?
- What do I say to customers who call?
- Will the company name change?
- How should we answer the phone? Starting when?
- Will the salespeople keep their existing territories?
- How can I learn more about the other company and how they do business?
- When will we meet the staff of the other company?
- What will change and what will stay the same?
- Will the new owners train us on how they want things done?
- How does the way they do business differ from the way we have been doing business?
- What are the new owner's goals, values, and expectations?
- Who should we contact if we have questions?
- What policies and procedures will be changing.
Common Customer/Client Questions and Concerns
- How will the change in ownership affect me?
- Are there benefits for me?
- Will my warranties still be in effect?
- Will service quality/policies change?
- Will the quote you gave me still be honored?
- Will there be any staffing changes that might affect me?
- Who do I call if I have a problem or concern?
Common Vendor/Supplier Questions and Concerns
- What is the legal name of the new organization?
- How will the changes in ownership affect my company?
- Where and to whom should I invoices be sent?
- Are the contracts/purchase orders we have in place still valid? If so, for how long?
- Will policies regarding how you select vendors/suppliers change?
- Will we be required to ship materials to a different location?
- Do you expect the volume that you have been ordering to increase or decrease?
- How much notice will be given if you decide to cancel our service?